Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Phono Cartridges

  1. #11
    Junior Hostboard Member J Stover's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2005
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Phono Cartridges

    If your turntable has a detachable SME style headshell, I'd really recommend the EMT XSD15. It's built in to an SME style headshell and will plug right in to your arm. It's got a very powerful, punchy sound that's great with Altecs, but it's pretty expensive in the US. You can get it directly from Germany through Studiotechnik Dusch. I can't post a link, but if you search under that name, you'll find the website.

    It's available with either conical or SFL styli (I use SFL and have been very happy with it). It's an MC cartridge, but pretty high output, so a step-up may not be required. Depending on exchange rates, I think the price is around $1K.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Phono Cartridges

    My take...

    You need to know what tonearm mass you have first. Since you mention not over 1 gm VTF on the cart, then I assume that you are looking for mid to high compliance cartridges.

    I own/owned some modest MC cartridges (Denon 103 x 4, Denon 103R x 2, Denon 103 nude, Denon 103 wood body x 2, Denon 103R with ruby cantilever, Denon 304, Shelter 501, Shelter 901, Benz Ace low, Benz Glider, Koetsu Rosewood Sugano version). None of these will be a perfect mate to your tonearm. Will it work? Yes, but not optimal. Only the Denon 304 will match and you are already pushing it at a tracking force of 1.25 gms. IMO

    If I were you, look at mid to high compliance cartridge. I have no experience on MM carts.

    regards,


    Abe
    QNME In Retro!

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Vathek's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2007
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Phono Cartridges

    What model is that Stanton cartridge? Stanton used the same body with different needles for quite a lot of models. So chances are you can just drop in a 681EEE needle and have a very good classic MM cartridge. Does it say anything about the model number on the cartridge?

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Phono Cartridges

    Sound Smith makes some high compliance moving iron carts with tracking forces at 1gm. From what I have read, they are supposed to sound very good.

    Soundsmith built phono cartridges

    David

  5. #15
    Inactive Member 60goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2009
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Phono Cartridges

    Quote Originally Posted by BugC View Post
    Hi Marvin,

    You can try the Shure M97xE mm cart. IIRC bought mine for less than a usd100.00. My friends find this cart great in their Technics 1200's. I bought this cart for my SME3009 s2 improved arm but haven't tried it yet. Still enjoying an old arm with an MC cart that I'm currently using. Hope this helps!

    BugC
    Amazon has the M97xE on sale for $61.00 right now. I bought one just to see how it compared to the old V15. It's not going to compete with Clearaudio, Koetsu, etc. but I personally like it better than the Grado Gold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.